Thursday, September 10, 2009

Open The Door.


Andy Yoder, Door Number Four, 2008

It's time to put on your back-to-school outfit, kids. Finally, I'm jazzed about art again. Was kind of not interested over the summer, Governor's Island notwithstanding. Oddly enough, this wildly problematic article about the state of the art world by Roberta Smith got me excited about the new season. Not because it said anything I cared about, but just because it mentioned a lot of galleries and artists. (And seriously, hearing Michelle Maccarone say, "I’m even doing resale. Me, Michele Maccarone." was pretty fucking priceless. Not because I don't like her. I do. [Or at least I like her eye. I don't know her.] It was more about how refreshingly honest the statement was, and how accurate it was as a self-assessment and a picture of the larger situation. I mean, seriously. Michelle Maccarone doing resale. Everything is wrong.)

I know. Kind of lame on my part, but I'll take what I can get at this point. And really, this year I think I've finally learned. Am I going to try to go to every opening in Chelsea on Thursday night? No. You can't see the art anyway. I'll focus on friends and the free beer I can find in between them. Simple as that. The Winkleman Gallery and Schroeder Romero axis,, Denise Bibro Fine Art, and then to The Kitchen where Kate Gilmore is part of the group show One Minute More. Celebrate the success that is here right now. And we'll go from there, our hearts bigger than we ever knew.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Not because it said anything I cared about, but just because it mentioned a lot of galleries and artists."

Ooof. Low bar.

Anonymous said...

(oops -- that was from Tyler.)

Heart As Arena said...

Yeah. I thought about that when I read it . . . "This was a great list + a great Michelle Maccarone quote."