Thursday, March 16, 2006

Wade Guyton: Andy Warhol vs. King Tubby Inna Painta House Fire.


I'm betting that a lot of people will be checking out Charline Von Heyl's excellent show this weekend after the on-the-money review by Jerry Saltz. While you're there, don't miss Wade Guyton's show of paintings, Color, Power, and Style, in Petzel's smaller gallery next door in the old Printed Matter space.

I saw the show a couple weeks ago at a private view with the artist. Anybody whose art makes me think of of both Andy Warhol and King Tubby can count me as a fan. Guyton's paintings come to life through the abuse and misuse of color printers. He feeds linen through the machine to cover the surface with an earthy instability. I'm really comfortable with painting being done by machines. A brush is a machine. A machine can be a brush.

Andy Warhol and King Tubby? Machines make mistakes. Really, really interesting mistakes. Sometimes their errors are even beautiful. Guyton, like Tubs and Andy before him, finds the beauty therein and tweaks it for maximum impact. Guyton especially made me think of King Tubby when he talked about trying to coax the desired results out of his less-than-ideal printer. In the 70's in a studio in Jamaica this is exactly the kind of technology stretching that led to Tubby's best work. This is how the workaround becomes part of palette. And Guyton's palette is full, like an echo on fire.




Hat tip to DJ Porkchop for the RE-inspiration.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What Happened?!

What happened to "Wade Guyton: Andy Warhol vs. King Tubby Inna Painta House Fire"? You changed the best artblog item title ever! Did you change the content to? You really touch on something I have been thinking about for a while. I hope you didnt "dub" it down for the non-Tubby/A. Pablo aficionados...

DJ Porkchop

Anonymous said...

HAA! muchas gracias for coming to the hidey hole. Very nice to meet you and no matter what anyone else says I heart the Karen Finley. Thank you for your write up and for your excelent recommendations.

Anonymous said...

Hey Heart! So great to meet you. You are a kind fella and I hope I didn't freak you out with my prison stories. Hope to see you again.

Heart As Arena said...

DJ Porkchop. You're an inspiration. One of the great things about blogs is that you can edit post-publishing. That's also sometimes a bad thing. I had a moment of panic when I read the original post and thought it was incoherent. I edited out the Andy which led to the destruction of the title for which you so kindly compliment me. DJP, I'm going home. The original will re-appear. Coherent or not. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

i'm going. thanks for the recommendation.

Anonymous said...

this is the artist responsible for the bleep bloop bloop robotic installation. Unfortunately the installation was only up through the 18th. UpCountry and I had differing opinions on it. . .I would have been curious to hear your thoughts. artist: http://www.virgilgallery.com/v2/?ikDirId=632
recent exhibition: http://www.virgilgallery.com/v2/?ikDirId=1411

Heart As Arena said...

Martin. You coming up for the DAC opening? I'm pretty sure I'm going to be there. That'd be way cool, Junior.

Anonymous said...

i'm coming up for the installation, but returning before the opening. it would be fun to meet you, i guess another time.

Heart As Arena said...

Bummer. Next time.