Monday, August 03, 2009

Permanent Records.


GREAT record stores are not dead in NYC. They've just moved to Greenpoint.

Saturday night, after checking out the Rubber Sheets group show at C.R.E.A.M. on Franklin I had some time to kill so I walked around the neighborhood. I came across one of the best record shops in NYC, Permanent Records. Trust me. I've been in a lot of great records stores in my life, so my snap judgements on said topic are almost always right. I knew I was in good hands when I came across not one, but three Fleshtones albums. That was followed by the second Graeme Edge Band album , Foghat's Stone Blue, and the Time Zone 12". Then I went on to the used CD bins to find Napalm Death's Smear Campaign, and Keola Beamer's album of Hawaiian Slack Key guitar songs about snow.

As a bonus the people that worked there were totally nice. No attitude, plenty of knowledge, and good prices. And obviously, mad taste. My wallet already hates them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's so funny. I think you got my record. I just sold them Roman Gods just a little while ago. Truly a great little shop. I was just googling them to see if I could find anymore info on them and came across your blog. I've had that LP for over 20 years, glad it found a good home.