Friday, April 21, 2006

Medieval Mashups.

One show I've been meaning to mention is the Nancy Baker at Plus Ultra. Highly recommended viewing, and this is the last weekend for it. At first, I was thrown off by the tauntingly illustrative nature of the work. When I looked a little closer the illustration feeling dropped away, but the taunting stayed. That was interesting and more than a little thrilling.

Medieval scenes blow up with an unexpected palette and then get invaded by Caspar-like devils and villians, UFOs, Hindu dieties and paint-by-numbers foliage. Pop eating itself across the centuries. Seriously tasty.

5 comments:

Heart As Arena said...

Down towards the end, and up the metal steps.

JD said...

HAA, I had mixed feelings about this show. I liked some of the weird image juxtapositions, but felt like the paintings missed being "exquisite enough" by a hair or so. I did, though, go to the Ocampo show at Gray Kapernickas, and thought it was great. Also, he has one of the best all-time artist statements ever: it was all about how making art is like defecation. By the way, did you see Felicity Powers' tweaked cameos at Krut Projects? So gorgeous.

Mark Barry said...

Several nice paintings. So much in a small format. Something nice about transporting your whole show in a box or your car.

Heart As Arena said...

JD - I felt the same when I was first looking at the paintings, but there was a shift that happened for me at one point. I think it happened when I realized how carefully the paint-by-numbers area had been painted, and how disconcerting that was. Glad you got to see that Ocampo. Loved that show. Love that gallery. And YES, one of the best artist statements ever in the history of artist statements.
Mark - Yah.

Glam said...

I want to lick every color. Or scratch and sniff them. LOVE!