Friday, July 20, 2007

Really. You Have No Idea.

It is weird working down on Wall Street. While the rest of the nation is still struggling to figure out that flavor-coded threat level chart I merely have to count the number of AK47s I see when I go out to get my lunch. Then, there are days like today.


How did we get here? This is so not my beautiful wife. It is, however, Lawrence Goldhuber's Whose Broads Stripes being performed on the steps of Federal Hall as part of the LMCC's Sitelines series. Catty-corner from the Stock Exchange, dancers Patricia Hoffbauer and Amber Martin (along with the well-planted choreographer) struck their blow against the empire dancing to Pink Floyd's "Money". An obvious choice maybe, but an effective one nonetheless. It drew the tourists and the money in like honey. Then the company dropped their glitter bomb in a storm of capitalist blasphemy. It was beautiful and completely, well, weird.










God bless the Lower Manhattan Cultural Council. Most of you know them for their work with the visual arts, but they also support dance and music. This is how they roll.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it. And they say Wall Street isn't hip. I think this disproves that lie. Long live the arts!
Moni-mon

Heart As Arena said...

Moni-Mon! Now all we need is Little G.

Anonymous said...

that is hilarious and wonderful! you have been seeing the best stuff.

yes, god bless the lmcc, except for the most recent jurors of the studio program, and all previous jurors the years i have applied.

Heart As Arena said...

And they're doing it again next Thursday and Friday! Yes. It is some wacky shit, Martin. One of the most entertaining parts of it is watching the tourists being confused.

Anonymous said...

I love the LMCC. I wish they were a political party. I'd register with them.

Anonymous said...

LOVE ITTTTTTTTTTT

Heart As Arena said...

And they're doing it again this Friday at 12 and 12:30 in the afternoon. You and Ed should play hookie.

ZS said...

100% awesome.

goldhuber said...

My God it was hot in that costume...