Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Don't Be A Brent. Go To These Openings Tonight.


Jack Whitten

It's killin' me that I'm not going to be able to make it to two openings tonight. I'll have to catch the shows later, but without a doubt you should be going to Jack Whitten at Alexander Gray in Chelsea, and Franklin Evans on the LES. A late comer to Whitten's work, every painting is a revelation for me. I'm not being all HeartAsArena-y when I say that either. I mean it. Evans provided me with the liveliest (Or more accurately, "liviest") studio experience in recent memory with his year-long studio-as-art journey during his Marie Walsh Sharpe residency last year. I can't wait to see the endless results.

Here's a primer on my great affection for both artists' work: First Jack Whitten, and then Franklin Evans.


Franklin Evans

No comments: