Monday, December 19, 2005

True.

I get my hair cut near Gigantic Art Space. It's a little out of the way. I don't mean that it's not easy to get to: it's just not in the mall that is Chelsea. It's on Franklin between Broadway and Lafayette. It's close to 12 subway lines so Heart don't want to hear it. Trust me. I've seen enough good shows there that I'd be making a regular stop there even if I didn't get my locks chopped down the block.

Lee Ranaldo and Leah Singer's new show, Drift, is no exception to the quality of work I've come to expect from GAS. A mix of sound, sculpture, installation, film, drawings, and prints adds up to a pretty thrilling whole. I love when art goes all immersive on me. It was not an easy task to leave the gallery. I kept coming across things that pulled me in. In fact, as I write this I find myself missing this show. Is that strange? You bet, but I can't think of a clearer way to tell you how I felt about Drift.

Well, that was easy. Wasn't it?

PS: I don't usually talk about this kind of thing, but . . . collectors take note. The prices are wildly reasonable. Art lovers who have thought about collecting . . . this would be a good place to start.




Yo, man. Any excuse to put up a pic of my favorite Master of Immersion, Masami Akita. This from a video of a performance of Merzbow, Jim O'Rourke, and Matts Gustafson. Nuthin' but HELL YEAH!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Hey I really like some of the pictures that you have posted but I wish that this post was a little more elaborate one, anyhow thanks for sharing. Peace.