Sunday, October 23, 2005

Not Good, But Not That Bad.

Inspired by the hateful review on artnet I went to MoMA this afternoon to see the Elizabeth Murray. Could it really be THAT bad? Well, yes and no. I mean, it is really bad. I was moved by nothing. But geeeeeez. The vapid caustics of the review were really unwarranted. But what's new? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Anyway, it turns out that one of my favorite art bloggers, From The Floor, made a visit to the show today too. He refers to it as a "stinker". Trust us.

Or better yet, don't. Michael Kimmelman of the Times loved it.

I'm leaving this one up to you.

The trip uptown was far from a washout though. The walls of the Drawing from the Modern exhibit yield one gem after another. And Take Two. Worlds and Views: Contemporary Art from the Collection is slammin'. Easily one of the best Dana Schutz paintings I've ever seen. Just overhwhelming. She really doesn't seem to miss. And the Janet Cardiff. God. No pun intended. Intensely moving. FTF wrote about the Cardiff piece the other day. My only disagreement with him is that I'm pretty sure that it's power won't diminish with repeated listenings. Other standouts were Warhol's glorious red romp and a nicely involving Wojnarowicz.

No comments: