Monday, May 19, 2008

No Fun Fest 2008. Stop.


Shallow Waters: Screaming and desperate. Just like us. "We will die from hunger." Brilliant.

The Cathode Terror Secretion: Brutal, devastating Power Electronics. Ooh, this night is shaping up to be the best. Filthy.

Werewolf Jerusalem: One of the sets I was looking forward to all weekend. Did NOT disappoint. Planes of 30- to 100-grit sandpaper moving parallel through the air. No throbbing. Just clear, direct lines of the harsh. Crushing.

Halflings: Spaced out noise frolic. House of horrors with plenty of trick doors. A tangled and tasty assault.

Edwige: Like a plane crash . . . from the first moment of unexpected descent to the last burning ember.

Ahlzagallzehguh: For all the bodies that were flying on this one I was kind of bored. Furious in a mild kind of way.

Sudden Infant: Reminded me why I've always thought Nine Inch Nails to be such a chickenshit. The body led the way on this one. Literally. Contact mikes on and in his body, breathing at and feeding off the audience. Highlight: Chastising one of the chuckleheads . . . "There is a little child. There is a little child. There is a little child. . . ."

ffh: Truly great set. Wiped the floor of the second stage with all the acts that had gone before. No histrionics. No theatrics. Just pure focused hate.

Lasse Marhaug + Dror Feiler: Dror Feiler greeted the audience with this (or, approximately this): "I don't come to your country much. When I try to use your transit system . . . It doesn't work. I think I don't like your country. But. I like you. I think you should make some more noise. And destruction. To destroy the system." And then they did. My back was totally giving out and I knew that this was the perfect way to end the night early. Gone.

No Fun Fest 2008, first night.
No Fun Fest 2008, second night.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you missed Tony Conrad (?)
...you should be ashamed...

Heart As Arena said...

I missed all kinds of stuff. I was in a world of back pain, and had to leave early every night. Last night was the worst. But what I saw made it my favorite night of the Fest.

Anonymous said...

Maquette for a Stained Glass Window

Anonymous said...

I was joking...He played an exceptional set.