Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My Big News.


Bang. I'm a curator. Seriously, kids. Many excellent things have come my way because of this blog but this one takes the cake and eats it too. When Molly Bradford and Bill Pace, the owners of the much-loved Pluto, asked me to curate a show for them this fall my extremely immediate response was, "Hell, yeah!" And then I was off on one of the best adventures of my life.

I can't thank Molly and Bill enough for the opportunity and for the trust they've placed in me. The title for the show is Unbreak My Heart, and it will include work that's done just that for me. I've been doing studio visits for the last month or so, and seeing some amazing work. I'm just now beginning to figure out the final line-up, and I'll be sharing the studio visits I've done over the next couple weeks. It was great to visit (and revisit) the work of artists familiar to me, and it was equally thrilling to see work by painters to whom I'd recently been introduced. One of them even brought tears to my eyes. (You know who you are . . . EJ Hauser.)

OMG. This show is sooooooo going to rule. I can't wait to show it to you. But I will. It opens on November 1st.

Holy shit. I'm curating a show. Did you ever have a dream and not know it, but then it came true? Well, this is kinda like that.

8 comments:

Mark Barry said...

I was wondering why it took so long! Congratulations man, and a good reason for a party.

Heart As Arena said...

Thanks, man. And yeah. They give good parties.

tati said...

Yaaaaaaay BRENT!

And what a great title, too. I can't think of anyone who I'd rather see curate a show. I'm really, really looking forward to it.

- your friendly resident Creative Time Intern Tatiana
(but only until Thursday, because then I am OUT OF HERE and back to RISD-land. Aw!)

Anonymous said...

And a fine curator you will be!

Anonymous said...

good on you!

Heart As Arena said...

:) to all. Yes. I love emoticons.

JD said...

Can't wait to see the show, Brent! many congrats.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! It's in my calendar!