Sunday, February 12, 2006

Totally F*nched.

What's been making so many of us sick to our stomachs . . .

Finch on Natalie Frank

Finch on Elizabeth Murray

Finch on Lisa Kirk

Ipecac . . .

From The Floor, first post

Brian Sholis

Anonymous Female Artist, first post

Anonymous Female Artist, second post

Art Fag City with a point well taken regarding what I've said below.

Anonymous Female Artist, third post All three AFA(MAB) posts are essential reading, but in many ways the the third is the best. Much respect to Edna.

Roberta at Fallon and Rosof's Artblog

And it continues . . .

Tyler Green at Modern Art Notes

Grammar Police

And it continues to continue . . .

Anonymous Female Artist, fourth post

From The Floor, second post

My prediction regarding the fallout to all this . . .

The bad news is that nothing will change. Artnet will continue to publish Finch. Finch will continue to be Finch.

The good news is that nothing will change. Finch will remain irrelevant. I mean, seriously. When was the last time you had a conversation about anything other than misogyny in response to one of his columns?

9 comments:

sloth said...

HAA, you are totally right. Finch will never be relevant, and he will continue to pollute artnet with his idiotic ramblings. Wish I had copied that article about Bellwether... is it lost forever? It was jaw-dropping and ridiculous. A real embarrassment.

But it also illustrates his lack of relevance. Did it have an impact on the success of the gallery or its artists? I don't think so...

Anonymous said...

Yes HAA. Yes. Tiring, ill-making, then ipecac to help. Finch is not human - he is the village idiot of the artworld and we should laugh and ignore him as such. (Although normally I think I have tender feelings towards the village idiots. Not in this case.

HAA, you are an enthusiast beyond measure. It's lovely.

Anonymous said...

Dead on. The people who hate him have spent far too much energy magnifying him. He's probably never felt as important as he has this weekend.

fairy butler said...

good point bill, but he is SO maddening it's hard to ignore!

JD said...

And I don't think we should ignore him. It's maddening to imagine that Finch is getting off on this, but it's great to have a dialogue on these issues, and maybe, just maybe, Artnet will agree to feature an opposing view to Finch. If nothing changes, then I think a boycott is in order, starting with readers, and moving on to advertisers. I agree, HAA, that WR won't sack him. Great list of Finch's execrable posts, by the way.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read anything by Finch before and so Im not biased against him. My verdict- an ass

Anonymous said...

yeah, thanks for compiling this. I've been complaining about Finch privately for a while, now, and am so happy to have it all come out. His sycophnatic Yale-love is bad enough, but the constant sexist articles (on "hot" young women, whose art he collects) have become disgusting.

Heart As Arena said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi. This is Charlie. I've been reading through all this insane, evolving crit of my Artnet column, and my large, overbearing persona. It's making me spritz right through my wifebeater. And when I spritz, dear reader, I really spritz. Believe you me. A veritable ocean of olein and agua and saline. Not at all like Natalie Frank's delicate, female effusions.