Friday, February 03, 2006

The Persistence Of Memory.

I've been meaning to mention David Cabrera's smart and heartwarming show at the intimate Gray Kapernekas Gallery in Chelsea. I saw it last Saturday and I can't recommend it highly enough. Sometimes abstraction can be oh so precise. That little chord that runs between my eye and my heart began vibrating madly as soon as I walked into the space.


Color-aid paper collages and photographs convey the artist's memories and take the viewer into them on a visceral level. A moment in his history reaches forward and pulls us back into it. One enters Cabrera's story of identity not so much as spectator, but as a companion.

This is, quite simply, stunning work. The disorienting precision of it is something I can still feel in my bones when I think of it now. And there's that chord again--like the works in this show--vibrating madly.

Gray Kaprenekas is located at 526 W. 26th Street, Suite 814.

No comments: