Friday, January 13, 2006

2005 Top Ten

Louis Valentino, Jr. Park and Pier, Red Hook
One of the most peaceful spots in the city, especially on a very surreal Monday afternoon. Simple as that. And a great view to boot. (And as a bonus, Baked is on the way there.)

Elizabeth Murray at MoMA
I didn't like this show, but it led to some of the best conversations about art that I had all year. That was especially true with the female painters I talked to who were introduced to Murray's work when they were in school. Credit where it's due, y'all.

Milan Kundera Life Is Elsewhere
Excellent abuse of the novel's form. Big ups to Yael for the tip!

Jeremy Blake Sodium Fox at Feigen Contemporary
Could this guy stop kicking my ass? I hope not. Paintings that move. An exploration of violence and sex in American culture that actually means something. Imagine that.

Robert Bordo at Alexander & Bonin
I didn't get this show at all at first. I mean, like, AT ALL. I was astonished by it's existence. (Here's proof.) However, every painter I talked to loved the show so I went back for a second look. I took my time. Still, nothing. Nada. Zippy Le Donut. A couple weeks after that I went to Feigen to see Jeremy Blake's Sodium Fox. For reasons I can't explain I thought I'd give the Bordo one more shot on the way home. And there it was. It all just sort of opened up before me. Or better yet, it opened in. Easily one of my favorite shows of the year. I love the fact that I have no idea how he does what he does. How he finally pulled me in and wouldn't let go. But that's ok. I love that things can shift like that. As abstract as it was straight forward.

No comments: