Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Chorus.


Karen Heagle, Beverly Semme, Robert Melee (l to the r)

I was walking over to the East Village after I left Lisa Cooley on Sunday, and I looked across Orchard Street and saw the word "LOVER" in the window of what looked like a gallery. I looked a little closer, and thought I saw a Marilyn Minter piece. Wheels started to turn (Slowly, but turning nevertheless.). Hey. Wait. This might be the show that Kate Gilmore curated. I got an email about that. So, I walked into the gallery and asked the woman at the desk (Later finding out that she was gallery owner and Kate's co-curator, Candice Madey.), "Is this the show that Kate curated?" Yeah. I thought so. Awesome. About two minutes later, Kate walked in. Sometimes, that's just the way it works here. And HELLO most poetically named gallery in the history of gallerydom: On Stellar Rays. Indeed.


Luis Gispert

And the art? Oh, man. From Franklin Evans' worshipful tree piece to a luscious Suzanne McClelland to Luis Gispert's hilariously happy sculpture with its handful of dark undertones, and all this with Marilyn Minter's glittered tongue down your throat . . . this show totally fucking RULES! An amazing feat to have 32 artists on the walls and floor without the space feeling even remotely crowded. All these lines of passion, crossing but not crossing out. This show is a small town on the 4th of July. Everyone's watching the same sky, all their voices going up in the air at the same time. The heart is bursting on this one, kids. Do not miss it. It opens Wednesday night at 6 o'clock. Hold on.


Franklin Evans (foreground), Daniel Bozhkov (background) [Sorry about my nonfabulous cropping techniques.]


Nancy Davidson

Oh. And THE best press release ever! Here it is, in it's entirety . . .

Kiss today goodbye,
The sweetness and the sorrow.
Wish me luck, the same to you.
But I can't regret
What I did for love, what I did for love.
Look my eyes are dry.
The gift was ours to borrow.
It's as if we always knew,
And I won't forget what I did for love,
What I did for love.
Gone,
Love is never gone.
As we travel on,
Love's what we'll remember.
Kiss today goodbye,
And point me t'ward tomorrow.
We did what we had to do.
Won't forget, can't regret
What I did for
Love
What I did for...
Love

No comments: