Friday, February 20, 2009

May The Cube Be With You.


I'm not buying Jerry Saltz's recent argument against the cube. Forgive me if I can't get excited when people--even my how-to-process-art hero Jerry Saltz--start talking about possibility of the "new", in this case breaking the cube, as a way forward. I don't deny that it's not a thrill to be in a new kind of space with great art (My first reference point? Creative Time's Art in the Anchorage series.), but I've seen too many shows in interesting non-cubes that haven't been good.

Good art is what moves things foward. There are plenty of gallerists and curators who couldn't put on a good show in the catacombs. You gotta bring the art. Everything else will take care of itself. No stretching necessary.

Helpful: Brian O'Doherty's Studio and the Cube.

Related: Thomas Dolby, George Clinton, and the Brecker Bros.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your comparison doesn't make sense, i mean, what do spike lee's films have to do with the stimulus package anyways?

Heart As Arena said...

Yeah, Anon. I woke up re-thinking this post. I've boiled off the fat and the got rid of all the stretching I was doing.