Thursday, February 12, 2009

On Line.


There's an early passage in Chaim Potok's My Name is Asher Lev where Potok let's the reader into the head of the artist as a child. The world is seen in line and color. Mostly line. I thought of this when I saw the late Fred Sandback's miracle of a show at Zwirner last weekend. I can't imagine a more complete understanding of Line and its effects on the viewer.


I also found it difficult not to think of magic. There are spots in the show where I thought that if I stepped through the created spaces I'd enter another world. Come to think of it, I did.

3 comments:

JD said...

Yes, HAA. Well put. Great show, so elegant and definitely magical.

Oly said...

It's seriously one of the most beautiful things I've ever witnessed-- including the Dia's collection for that matter.

What a loss he's no longer with us.

Truly.

Heart As Arena said...

Amen to both of you. Seriously. I think I spent about a half an hour in the gallery. I mean, just masterful.