Friday, February 13, 2009

The Path That Appears.


Whoa. Hello, Zach Needler paintings. Stopped by the Christopher Henry Gallery tonight on Elizabeth to see Zach Needler's paintings for the first time outside of jpeg-land. Most awesome. Here's what you do. Go into the gallery. Spend a little time with the paintings, but not too much. Go upstairs to see the relatively astounding photographs of Ves Pitts. Or, maybe go back outside and look at traffic. Then head back in for another round with the paintings. The re-focus will bring out the lines and paths taken by Needler. The eye-punching colors will be even more vivid than they were the first time through. I don't know why it works like this. I just know that it does. I was pretty giddy when I left this show.

1 comment:

Rebecca Sherman said...

I totally agree with you! Zach's paintings are like colorful labyrinths of intrigue that the viewer can just fall into and "get lost." The paintings look different every time I view them and the show definitely involves an experience with painting that can never be depicted in "jpeg land!":0)