Sunday, March 29, 2009

Malevolent Creation.


Erik Benson

Loved this painting by Erik Benson when I saw it at PULSE, and then again when I saw it hanging at Black + White the next weekend. I'm not sure if it's vantage point is near the IKEA in Red Hook or not. Either way, I like the way the store's surroundings seem to be whispering "Remember death." I took my first trip to the Hellhole that is IKEA in Red Hook yesterday. I came home and took a 3 hour nap afterwards. So. Very. Draining. Every single thing in this anti-wonderland seems to be aimed at getting everybody to forget death by disorienting them with bad lighting and a livestock corral approach to layout. It reminded me of that defining moment in the X documentary, The Unheard Music, when Exene is practically reduced to tears in some nameless megastore. Sometimes our kill and spend culture is exhausting.

Soundtrack: Malevolent Creation.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

I wonder if IKEA will use that picture on their promotional brochures?

Sheree Rensel said...

I have never been to an IKEA. They don't have one here in St. Petersburg. I keep hearing stuff about it. From your description, I guess I am not missing much. Huh?

Anonymous said...

get a grip.
..
also
this painting is fugly

Heart As Arena said...

No.