Friday, September 19, 2008

Let It Rain.


I don't know why people waste their time talking about Robert Bordo's paintings. I mean, it takes up time that could be spent looking at them. His new show at Alexander & Bonin, it’s always raining, is my favorite painting show of the year. Hands down. Nobody else has come close. You might remember how stubborn my eye was the first time I encountered his work in 2005. It took me seeing that show three times before it found it's way in. But once it got there, it wasn't leaving. Still hasn't.


I still don't know how Bordo does what he does to get me there. I don't want to know. I started to read the gallery's press release and it actually felt wrong. Not because it's poorly written or filled with artspeak. The mystery in these paintings seems impenetrable, but in a delicious way. When I'm standing in front of them I'm not thinking "Oh. These paintings are so filled with mystery." Nope. These paintings couldn't be more direct, the way they pull me into the moment. It's just me and them. It's a nice little home for a few minutes. But I'm going to stop talking now, and you should stop reading. We both know what to do next.

No comments: